Man Charged for Various Offenses After Evading Police

On Friday, January 3, Hawai`i Police Department detectives charged a 34-year-old Puna man with various offenses after evading police on an unlicensed motorcycle.

After conferring with prosecutors, Christopher K. Lucrisia was charged with felony Resisting an Order to Stop, Resisting Arrest, Defacing Serial Numbers on a Motor Vehicle, No Motor Vehicle Insurance, Driving without a Driver License, third-degree Promoting a Dangerous Drug, fourth-degree Theft, and Habitual Property Crime offender.

Lucrisia’s bail was set at $34,000 pending his initial court appearance, which was scheduled for Monday afternoon.

On Wednesday afternoon Lucrisia appeared back in South Hilo District Court. He was subsequently remanded to custody pending evaluation to determine fitness for trial.

On Thursday morning at about 12:46 a.m., South Hilo patrol officers observed an early model blue Honda motorcycle traveling east on Kekuanaoa Street and turning right onto Route 11 (Kanoelehua Avenue) heading southbound. A check on the plate revealed the motorcycle was not currently registered. The officer attempted to stop the motorcycle; however, the operator drove across the grass median, towards oncoming traffic on Kanoelehua Avenue. The officer terminated the vehicle pursuit, and the motorcycle was last seen turning onto East Palai Street.

A few minutes later, the same motorcycle was observed by police to be traveling southbound on the inbound lanes of Kanoelehua Avenue, forcing a patrol officer who was responding to another call, off the road to avoid a collision. Although the motorcycle was not being actively pursued by police, it continued to travel southbound and against the flow of traffic on Route 11.

Officers conducting checks in the Keaʻau area located the motorcycle on Route 11 near the Route 130 intersection as it drove onto the grassy median, where it slowed and subsequently stopped after getting stuck. It fell over, and the operator fell to the ground, then stood up and started to run away.

A short foot pursuit ensued after the suspect abandoned the motorcycle and an officer deployed his Taser while the suspect violently resisted being arrested by police.

Lucrisia was subsequently subdued and transported to the Hilo Medical Center after complaining of pain after falling off of the disabled motorcycle and while he resisted arrest.  He was treated and released before being transported to the police cellblock while police investigated.

Lucrisia is the same subject who was arrested and charged in November 2019 for allegedly operating a stolen 2004 Nissan Frontier pickup truck that was reported stolen in early November.

HPD photo.