Kitchen Fire Causes $20K in Damages to Hilo Home

The Hawai`i County Fire Department responded to a structure fire in Hilo on Monday.

HFD crews arrived at an Amauulu Road home at 7:48 a.m. to find an approximately 160 square foot kitchen area on fire. The fire was contained to the lower floor of the two story structure.

Officials say the home’s occupant self-evacuated when the smoke detector went off. A pet dog was located inside the home and rescued by HFD personnel.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a stove.

An estimated $20,000 in damages occurred.