The Hawai`i Police Department is warning the public of a scam involving an anonymous caller soliciting funds for HPD.
The most recent phone number is identified as 808-755-9285, but is a spoof number used to prevent detection.
HPD officials say the department does not practice solicitation of funds from the public, or solicit funds on behalf of any law enforcement agency.
Authorities offer the public the following reminders to prevent being a victim of a telephone scam;
- Don’t give out any personal information, either by phone, text or email.
- Do online searches and search phone numbers when appropriate
- Don’t believe your caller ID, criminals can trick you to believe that it is a valid number
- Never pay anyone upfront or give out your credit card information to anyone over the phone
- Consider how they are presenting the solicitation to you, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is
- Talk to someone before you ever give up your information or money to anyone or any business or agency
- Hang Up on “Robocalls”, never press any numbers as asked
Call the police at 935-3311 or CrimeStoppers at 961-83000 to report suspicious calls or report criminal activity related to phone scams to your police department.