The National Weather Service is forecasting dangerous conditions of high wind and surf throughout Hawaii Island starting Sunday and lasting for several days.
Hawai`i County Civil Defense said in an evening message that due to the unpredictable nature and extreme danger from high wind and surf, the following are in effect:
- Secure all loose objects that may be affected by wind such as canopy tarps and yard furniture that maybe damaged or create a danger to others.
- Boat and aircraft owners must secure or remove all vessels.
- All preparations should be completed before nightfall.
- Consider postponing or cancelling outdoor activity.
- Low-lying communities such as Puako, Ali`i Drive, Keauhou, Miloli`i, Keaukaha, and Waipio – stay alert for possible run-up and coastal erosion.
The following locations will be closed as of midnight on Saturday:
- All County Beach Parks and Camp Sites
- All State Beach Parks and Camp Sites
- Mauna Kea Recreation Area
- Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa Summit Areas
- Namakani Pa`io Volcano National Park Camp Ground
- Waipio Valley – Closed, open to Waipio residents only
- Bayfront Highway
- No other road closures at this time