Hawai‘i Electric Light is reminding the community that the Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens areas are designated as a no-entry zone for its crews.
Poles and lines continue to fall in these areas each day due to continued ground swelling and cracking.
“Even though portions of Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens are de-energized, back-feed from improperly connected generators and PV systems can cause lines to be energized without warning,” Hawai`i Electric Light said on Friday.
The public should assume that all downed lines and equipment are energized and dangerous, stay at least three cars lengths away from downed lines and use caution around all poles and overhead lines.
When using a portable generator, carefully read and follow instructions in the manufacturer’s manual. Do not plug the generator into your household electrical outlets. Generators, if used improperly, can cause back-feed into the electric grid and be dangerous for your neighbors and others in the area.
The following areas are in the no-entry zone. This area may be extended.
- Leilani Avenue from Pomaikai Street to Pohoiki Road
- Malama Street, east from Pomaikai Street
- Kahukai Street from Nohea Street to Leilani Avenue
- Pomaikai, Moku, and Kupono Streets south of Leilani Avenue
- All streets east beginning with Nohea Street
- All of Lanipuna Gardens including Hinalo, Lauone, and Honuaula Streets, and all connector roads into Lanipuna Gardens
Hawai`i Electric Light photo from earlier in the week.