Overnight eruption began again overnight in the Leilani Estates Subdivision.
At 2 a.m., Hawai`i County Civil Defense reported that active fountaining was occurring once again within the Leilani Subdivision, all occupants are ordered to evacuate immediately.
Just after 4 a.m. it was determined that active volcanic vents had begun erupting on Makamae and Mohala Streets.
As of 6 a.m., active volcanic vents continued to erupt on Makamae and Mohala Streets, and all Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivision residents who have not already left, have been ordered to evacuate immediately. Police, Fire and County agencies along with the National Guard are assisting with evacuation.
Due to the eruption, the following are issued:
- Kua O Ka La Charter School, Hawaii Academy of Arts and Science, Keonepoko Elementary and Pahoa High, Intermediate, and Elementary will be closed today.
- Hawai`i Fire Department reports extremely high levels of dangerous Sulfur Dioxide gas detected in the evacuation area. Elderly, young, and people with respiratory issues need to comply with the mandatory evacuation order and leave the area.
- All residents in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivisions are required to evacuate. The Pahoa Community Center and the Kea’au Community Center are open for shelter.
- Residents evacuating should bring an emergency evacuation supply kit including necessary medicine, food, and necessary items for your comfort if possible.
- The Hawaii Police Department reminds the public that a temporary flight restriction is in place for most of lower Puna. Drones can be confiscated in the Temporary Flight Restriction Area (TFR). More at faa.gov
- Pohoiki Road is closed from the intersection at Highway 132 down to Highway 137 to allow evacuation efforts to proceed.
- Puna Geothermal Venture power production is suspended until further notice.
HVO image from May 3.