Heavy rain has caused flooding in several areas along Big Island roadways.
As of 11:30 a.m., the following roadways are closed, per the Hawai`i Police Department:
- Wood Valley Road in Pahala is closed until further notice due to severe flooding and hazardous conditions making the roadway impassable. The public is being warned to stay away from this area and to avoid traveling unless it is completely necessary.
- Update, 12:20 p.m. The Road in this area is now clear. Highway 11 near Pahala by the 50 mile marker and Kawa are beginning to show signs of flooding. The public is asked to avoid these areas or use alternative routes if they must travel. State Highways is placing caution signs.
- Kukila Street and Railroad Avenue near Lanikaula Street in Hilo are closed.
- Kamehameha Avenue and Pauahi Street intersection is impassable due to flooding. Leading to the diversion at the intersection of Pauahi Street and Aupuni Street which is closed to traffic. Vehicles are being diverted onto Aupuni Street.
- Bayfront Highway is closed. Traffic entering Downtown Hilo from Highway 19 must turn right onto Waianuenue Avenue.
- The intersection of Kamehameha Avenue and Manono Street and Lihiwai Street is closed.
A Flash Flood Warning is now in effect for the island. A Flash Flood Warning means dangerous flooding is occurring or imminent; and may pose a threat to life and property. Heavy thunder showers are expected to continue throughout the day.
In addition to the closure, weather conditions are causing intermittent phone disruptions at the Kealakehe Police Station. If members of the public calling the station experience disruptions in phone service at the station, call 935-3311.
Stay with BIGISLANDWatch for road and weather updates.