Unattended Cooking Cause of Pepe`ekeo Apartment Fire

Eight people were injured by a fire that broke out at the Kauhale`olu Apartment Complex in Pepe`ekeo Sunday morning.

Hawai`i County Fire Department firefighters arrived on scene just after 5:40 a.m. to find the second story of a two story apartment building fully engulfed in flames.

Firefighters suppressed the fire with multiple hand lines and a master stream device. The fire was fought from the exterior until conditions allowed entry.

The fire was deemed out by 6:10 a.m.

No condition updates were available for the eight injured.

HFD officials say the fire was deemed to be unintentional and caused by unattended cooking. The total loss was not immediately identified.