A studio apartment within an apartment complex on Haili Street burned just after 4 a.m. Wednesday morning.
The Hawai`i County Fire Department reports that upon arrival, fire fighters found light smoke coming from the eaves on the Haili side of the apartment complex. The apartment was filled with smoke, and visible flames were seen in the center of the room.
Fire officials say personnel on the scene were able to extinguish the blaze, causing minimal water damage. However, the room was charred as a result of the high heat.
As of about 8:30 a.m., HFD remained on scene to secure the premises as they awaited inspection bureau personnel to complete a thorough investigation.
No other units in the complex were affected and no injuries were reported.